Mpulungu port is situated on the southern tip of Lake Tanganyika, in the Northern Province of Zambia. The port was built in 1930 before Zambia gained its independence. It operated as a fishing berth. Post-independence, the port was used mainly as an alternative storage facility for fuel imported through East Africa and supplied to the Northern part of Zambia. In 1977, the port started handling exports to the Great Lakes Region.
The port is managed by Mpulungu Harbour Corporation Ltd, a company registered in 1988 and wholly owned by the government of the Republic of Zambia.